Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Adventure city!

Traveling is an interesting journey. It's unexpected, unpredictable, adventurous, exciting and unknown at times. You meet some really sweet people along the way and make some really good memories. 
There is a part of me that dislikes the unknown state of which city i'll go to next but there is excitement and less stress at times just going with the flow and not having an agenda. This past week has been neat! Unexpectedly I decided to hop on a 2 day small boat ride after crossing the boarder in Laos. I never thought to go to Laos but my friends here in Thailand suggested it's a beautiful place to explore, so off we went on an adventure! The small boat ride the first day was so great! We were spoiled with the amount of space we had. Reviews said we might be crammed, but it was cozy and comfy and we met really cool people to travel with! We played UNO on the boat, a classic I might say! 

Brought back childhood memories! The first day was about 7 hours. We than arrived around 5 to a small village basically located around a jungle! Oh and we saw a wild elephant on the way to our destination! The accommodations in this village was interesting! It smelt like musty goodness with a little bit of coffee smell perhaps? A group of us went out for dinner at this really neat Indian restaurant in the village. It had Christmas light decorations with really neat lamps! The meal was pretty good! I ordered one of my all time favorites, butter chicken! I love having meals with groups of people! A sense of community coming together to share stories and enjoy a meal is so refreshing! Such a good evening! The next day we had to catch a boat to Luang Probang, which would take about 7 hours. That day we were in for a surprise! I walked down to the boat and it was COMPLETLY jam packed!
I started laughing and was curious if I'd be sitting on the roof with my friends! The day before in our luxurious spacious boat we had learned there was 2 boats that day and the second day they only had one boat! At this point i'd go back to my word of unpredictable I used at the beginning as key words with traveling! Always be prepared for the unpredictable things you may encounter :) I hoped on the boat and there weren't 2 seats availed to sit with my friend so I shared a seat with a nice retired Australian man. We talked for the first while of the boat ride and shared stories about our lives. He was super kind and had been traveling all over Asia for 6 months so far. Had some good advice on traveling and it was good company! A large group of us got together for the remainder of the boat ride and played UNO again with a group of 10! It was crowded and lots of fun! OOOOO and did I tell you that we picked up, what felt like a person from each village along the way. I laugh because our boat already had many people on it :) I will upload a fun photo later of a woman from one of the villages on the way holding a dead large fish walking onto the boat with a huge smile on her face. 
She had a beautiful smile! I feel there was lots of surprises that day! 
....
    We arrived in LUANG PROBANG! What an interesting and neat little city of about 60,000 I believe. This town was neat! Along the waterside were lots of restaurants and neat places to eat! They had a night market every night with some beautiful things in it! I tested out my bargaining skills and got a sweet painting for about 7$! A bunch of us went bowling that night! Yes, they actually have a bowling ally in this town! A really smart idea! The next day was followed by an awesome waterfall!! What beauty! We took a tuk tuk to a waterfall out in the country side which is popular to go to! We had a nice small hike up to it and enjoyed the day! 


On the way back we stopped and took photos of the pretty rice plantations! 

And I also had Daneille find this tree that you can take the flowers from it and put them on your nose to look like a bird....AHAHHA! Tucan sam?! 
Priceless. 
      I think that one of my favorite places to go to in Luang Probang was a place called Utopia! It was the coolest place! You can get good eats there, play volleyball, sit outside on a beautiful terrace porch and enjoy a view of the waterfront surrounded by trees all around! I had dinner there one night and it was so relaxing! We went there two nights in a row and it was so much fun! 
Loving my travels and the people I'm meeting along the way! Really neat to also catch up with my friend Daneille who I did Kaleo with years ago! Loving the experience and cultures I'm leaning about! So thankful for this time around Asia! Met this cute little girl at a crepe street vendor! She made me smile! With the language barrier It also makes me see that body language is a huge thing. When we smile at others without a verbal word, it can go along way. Although I didn't speak this girls language, my heart was happy exchanging a smile :) 

Back to Thailand now! YIPPPEEEEE! 

-A :) 

No comments: