Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's all about the adventure...

Ordering food in Hong Kong is pretty much a surprise most the time. I order something that looks yummy and usually I end up getting an extra drink with it or some sauce that I'm not sure of the flavour...or even a funny taste of fish perhaps? Don't get me wrong though, I have been loving all the different tastes of food here! I have not hesitated much to order whatever I see and give it a try! My modo is if you don't try the food, than you won't know if you like it or not! I have learned to not go for the vegetarian dish that includes tofu by trying everything. I felt like I was eating rubber hahaha! I have been having a hard time receiving my veggie and fruit intake here. A lot of food to eat around my area has a lot of meat and rice! Which I love but I miss my big salads and yummy squash recipes. Ooo how I long to cook something tasty in the kitchen right about now :) 

Another fun fact: Going for runs here feels like you went and jumped into a swimming pool! There is a beautiful park nearby that has a track to run on with basketball, tennis and soccer courts. There are lots of trees there and it is pretty peaceful to go there. About a 10 minute walk from where we are! I am trying to get enough courage up to play some basketball with people who play each evening! I think tonight I will go with my friend Meghan and try to get in on a game! Girls don't entirely play lots of sports here so it will be interesting :) I think I may get a laugh but I'm sure it will be fun! I'll keep you posted! 


My first day of teaching was yesterday and it was WONDERFUL! I loved it! Besides the fact that my voice felt hurt a bit after speaking all day and my body felt like jello from the long day. I absolutely loved teaching and playing fun games with the kids throughout the day! What an incredible opportunity I have here! The kids are really funny. After just a day, they are pretty comfortable around me! I know this because I was standing at the computer during break and looking at what the afternoon lessons would be. A girl than came up to me and had something in her hand! She put it on my desk and to my surprise it was a COCKROACH! It was only plastic ;) BUT....my eyes got big and my jaw dropped in shock as I laughed! I think I can get a high five for not jumping 10 feet high :) 

My kids also have made up a name for me, different than Miss.Cecchi. In the morning we were going through our favourite foods. I told them one of my favourite foods is PIZZA! Later on in the day I probably heard them call me Miss.Pizza about 5 or so times. I just giggled and said, "Ok, sounds good :)". HEYYYY....they learned the word pizza :)! We took a picture for our scavenger hunt later on and they had to draw on the board my name and what they liked about me. This picture below describes what it says: 



                            They wrote on the board behind us: "I like Miss.Pizza because she is pretty" 


This was half of my class. I usually will have around 20 students. One day down and a few more weeks to go! Please be keeping all of us girls in your prayers :) For energy, health, safety and to be the light of Christ in these schools we are able to go into! 



As I was riding back on the bus yesterday with our group I was reminded of this song by 

Jonathan David Helser called "Abba"
You can find the song here:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GeVf1XQOPg&list=RD-GeVf1XQOPg&index=1
A beautiful reminder of His love for us. Being here in Hong Kong this past week or so, I have reflected on how busy life can be. Wanting to find time for the Lord but always coming back to it's a daily and consistent relationship. It should not be confined to always a set time that I spend with him but it should be throughout my everyday. Last night I sat at the soccer park around the corner from the University we are staying at. I watched a large group of people play soccer and as I was looking at the court I was in awe of how large this soccer court was. To others, it may be a simple fact that soccer courts are large in size, but to me in that moment of sitting there I was drawn to a parallel of how vast the Fathers love is for each of us.  My prayer for you is that in the simple things of life you would see Jesus in them. 

Kindly,

A

p.s. Jonathan Davis Hesler also has some other really good tunes to check out if you would like :) 



No comments: